Friday, September 26, 2008

Coach, you gotta let me play!

Although I hate making promises I'm unsure I can keep, my first third quarter resolution is write about 3D Radio at least once a month.

I making this resolution as part of 3D Radio's marketing strategy for the next quarter. But if wasn't for my business coach, Theresa Szczurek, I never would have committed to this tactic.


Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I didn't turn to a business coach sooner. After all I've been meeting my trainer, Bob Nelson, at the gym Wednesdays at 1 p.m. for almost two years.



When it comes to working out I'm pretty motivated. We have a well-equipped home gym with freeweights and a bench, stair machine, treadmill, two stationary bikes, lots of Therabands and assorted Pilates gadgets. Occasionally I'll hang drying laundry on the bench, but Mike and I actually use this equipment several times a week.

Yet I continue to see Bob every week. He pushes and cajoles me, gives me new exercises to try, and at an incredibly fit 72, he inspires me. But most of all he keeps me honest. There's an accountability factor when you have to check in with someone periodically to report your progress.

That's why Weight Watchers has been around for almost 50 years.

Theresa performs the same functions for me as I strive to become the CEO of a major corporation. We have a great arrangement too -- we barter her business acumen for my PR expertise.

As a matter of fact just this morning I wrote some ad copy for her that explains it all:

"If you wanted to attain your best athletic performance you’d hire a coach. Lance Armstrong wouldn’t have won the Tour de France an amazing seven times – and come out of retirement at the age of 37 – without his coach, Chris Carmichael.

"Attaining your best business performance requires the same kind of planning, support and training regimen."

No comments: